Powerful survivor/advocate and Founder of Courtney’s House Tina Frudt, has said, pimping and trafficking is one and the same.” Brilliant survivor/writer Holly Austin Smith has written an exceptional post which shows how building a false separation between the idea of being pimped and the idea of being trafficked harms girls and women who are or have been in the life. Here’s an excerpt of Holly’s tour de force:
Not only does the word prostitute imply choice but it carries with it centuries of stigmatization. At 14 years old, I began to believe that I was a prostitute. I couldn’t understand that I was victimized because I believed I must have chosen to be a prostitute. I initially refused to testify against my traffickers because I believed they were now the only people who accepted me.
“[The trafficker] might beat you, he might sell you…but at least he accepts you,” stated Rachel Lloyd while explaining the mindset of a victim, “society doesn’t have a lot of empathy for girls who have been in the life.”
Rachel explains that traffickers will tell young women and children that the police won’t believe them, that their family will no longer want them, and that nobody will treat them nicely.
And, unfortunately, this is often true. This is the reason why many girls, including myself, chose to return to the traffickers; I felt shunned by society.
“When you talk about a young person being trafficked or exploited,” explained Rachel Lloyd, “the edon the end makes it something that was done to that person; it’s not who they are.”
For nearly 20 years I carried a sense of guilt and shame with me, and I can trace it back to one single word: prostitute.
- Nevada’s Legal Brothels are Coercive Too (secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com)
- Hawaii 6th State to Enact Vacating Conviction Law for Trafficking Victims (hawaiireporter.com)
- Pimps Posing as “Sex Worker Activists” & Other Conflicts of Interest (secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com)
- How Survivors Give Each Other Hope (survivorsconnect.wordpress.com)
- Desperately Needed: Services for Trafficked Boys (survivorsconnect.wordpress.com)
- Survivors Must Lead the Anti-Trafficking Movement (secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com)
- Schools work to raise awareness of human sex trafficking (miamiherald.com)
- Part 2 – More Pimps Posing as Sexworker Activists (secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com)
- How the Sex Industry Threatens Survivors Speaking Out While Pimps Pose as Sexworker Activists (secretlifeofamanhattancallgirl.wordpress.com)